Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Letter to Jude


Dear Jude,

My name is Ethan, and I'm just starting high school after a long relaxing summer vacation. I spent most of my time at home swimming, hanging out at a friend's house, or spending time with my family at the beach.

Over the summer I was also able to read the book Jude, by Kate Morgenroth, that tells your story. I enjoyed the book because it had lots of twists and turns that kept it interesting. I was very impressed by the way you handled certain situations. The fact that you were willing to spend time in jail in order to help get your mother elected mayor required alot of courage and selflessness. I was also impressed by the tenacity you showed in finding a way to get back at Harry for deceiving you. I don't know if I would have been able to stick with it as long as you did in order to make things right.

I thought that the author, Kate Morgenroth, had a very engaging writing style. The story was very creative and contained many surprises throughout which made me want to continue to read. The characters and the story were very believable. I think that your story would make a great movie.

Being about your same age, I can relate to many of the issues you faced such as drug use and living with separated parents. I can realize the hardships you faced with the loss of your father as well. What I didn't fully apreciate was the number of different ways that drugs could affect one person and their family.

What was it like going back to live with your mother even though you hadn't seen her since you were an infant? It must have been hard leaving your public school to attend a private school in which you were the new kid. I know that I would have definately had a rough time handling those situations.

Your story was very inspirational and left me thinking about the issues associated with illegal drug use. You might want to think about sharing your story with as many other high school students as you can as a way to raise awareness about these issues. You may be able to help change many people's idea about the use of drugs, and then hopefully this will keep kids from trying them. Since I have never met you, I have attached a picture of myself so you'll know what I look like.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Ethan

1 comment:

Mrs. Zurkowski said...

Hi Ethan,

You need to use the "Greens" dropbox in the future for all assignments.

Good start to your blog site. Your first three assignments look great. You need to add the "Works Cited" with the one source that you used for your author information.

Also, you need to add the rest of your assignments, including the "Issue Statement" and the three "Notecards" by next class. See me to update your grade if you do so by next class.

Blog Progress grade 84/100